Monday, May 9, 2011

All over the place...literally and figuratively

Ugh, what a bad way to start a blog...a few posts and then silence for over a month, but that is the plight of this haggard multi-tasking mother/artist/program manager/housecleaner/grocery shopper/ cook, etc. I know everyone is busy and some amazing people still manage to maintain a blog weekly or even daily, but I am struggling to come up with interesting posts on a regular basis given that I am barely able to remember to water my wilting houseplants. Sorry followers, I will try to be a better blogger...that will be one of my May resolutions.

In addition to traveling all over New England recently to visit family and friends, watch marathons, attend graduations and celebrate motherhood, I've been busy working on some personal changes. I've been trying to become more organized, go on facebook less, engage in less neurotic list-making activity, and basically just relax more. I also took the plunge and committed to becoming one of the "Clean" people which has involved totally reshaping the way I eat over the last month. I  am on day 15 of a 21 day "cleanse" and feel amazing. I'm glad I've taken the time to revive myself....I guess I'm doing some life-spring cleaning but as a result Bowerbird has taken a back seat.

I've also been bogged down in an artistic version of writer's block...except instead of having no ideas I am suffering from too many ideas and a lack of focus and direction. You know you're in trouble when you're crossing your fingers each morning that the little piece of paper dangling from your Yogi tea bag will tell you what to do. Whether it's deciding about how to price my items to thinking about whether I want to pour my energy into drawing or sea glass or using my kiln more (but silver is the most expensive it's ever been!) or learning to do more technical metalsmithing work, or just finally learning how to do screenprinting which has always intrigued me, I get overwhelmed by possibilities and then I do nothing. Not to mention advertising, internet presence, classes to build your skill and learn the tricks of trade of small business ownership. Or maybe I should really take the plunge into illustrating children's books....wait, what? I just bought a kiln!! I looked at my studio the last time I went in and saw there were buttons strewn everywhere, a box of driftwood, cut out pictures of birds from an Audubon field guide, a bag of forks, a bag of rocks, a jar of sequins...you get the idea....the craft hoarding must stop. So I've been taking this slower spring-slump time to evaluate where my interests really lie and to try to find focus. I'll let you know when I've had my epiphany.

Tonight I went to a meeting with other artists that will be participating in the Rockland Art Market. Seeing the range of what people make and just being around other like-minded individuals made me suddenly feel inspired again! With summer right around the corner, I am finally feeling ready to gear up for summer festivals and my weekly appearance at the Rockland Art Market. I am also making the declaration that May is my month to conquer my fear of approaching stores and my goal is to get some of my stuff into a nice store..one I actually like to shop in, by the end of the month...and if I can do more than one, well that would be gravy...or maybe icing since I like that better.

Here's the link to the Rockland Art Market's website, and if you're local, please find and friend us on facebook too!

Rockland Art Market

No comments:

Post a Comment