Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sew Obsessed

I never thought I would love sewing- it has never come easily to me. That and pottery are the two artsy realms that have brought me the most frustration every time I've tried them. Maybe it's the nesting instinct that's kicked in, or maybe it was the amazing fabric store that opened in town this year (Fiddlehead Artisan Supply http://www.fiddleheadartisansupply.com/). Browsing around Fiddlehead and seeing shelves upon shelves of brightly colored fabrics with fantastic patterns made me wish I could do something with them. So I asked for a sewing machine for Christmas and Aaron indulged me in pursuing yet another area of craft. After I completed my first thing that actually looked like something (a banner for the baby's nook), I was in love. A semi-sedentary activity- perfect for my pregnant self! Plus the end result is the creation of something functional, wearable, or decorative, which I always find rewarding. Here are some of my recent completed projects...some were done on the machine and some were done by hand. I'm now selling the felt and cloth banners and garlands, as well as the baby tag toys.

Banner made with Echino fabric hanging over baby's changing table

Close-up

Kitchen wall hanging made with leftover fabric

I love these prints!

Taggie toy (babies love to play with the ribbon tags on the edges)


Crinkly tag toy (I added a sheet of mylar wrapping paper between the fabric for an extra awesome sensory experience)

Burp Cloths made with super-soft jersey fabric

Art bag for Rowan



Valentine's Day Family Heart- I got this pattern from Amanda Blake Soule's Handmade Home. The front pocket is for little love notes and you can send it off with one of your kids if they're having a rough day, or with a loved one when they leave the home for a trip.
Not the best picture, but a felt flower banner I made Rowan for her birthday

Felt springtime garland


Bluebirds of Happiness! (Pattern from the book Fa La La La Felt!, which Aaron relentlessly made fun of me for taking out of the library)


1 comment: